Friday, August 01, 2003

It's an epic week in the life of of a working supermum - my youngest son has graduated from being a "nursery boy" to a "nearly schoolboy". He's puffed up with pride at his elevated status - no more travelling to the nursery with Mum every day. Instead, he's getting to know his future "after-school" childminder and having a whale of a time with his big brothers. Oh boy, oh joy!

Had a tantrum yesterday, all the same. "Big boys don't use booster seats in the car", he told my husband. He took some convincing that the prerequisite for abandoning the booster seat was an increase in height!

Meanwhile, Pseudo Supermum has to get used to travelling to work alone every day. My colleagues are taking bets on how long it will be before I accidentally ring the nursery doorbell to collect my son in the time-honoured fashion! My car is now occupied by a small cuddly teddy in school uniform, as a substitute for the small cuddly boy who sat in the front passenger seat only a couple of weeks ago!

I get to work earlier - can't set out later or I'll get caught up in the rush-hour traffic. I get home a little earlier. And I can listen to the radio to my heart's content. But I do miss the conversation! (Mind you, one thing I won't miss is his earnest inspection of the daily lunchbox to make sure that "the ladies" will approve of it! School dinner-ladies aren't that concerned!)

Only three weeks before school starts again - so I suppose it's time for me to start another of my Grand Lists to make sure I haven't forgotten anything!

No comments: