Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Life is just a whirlwind of fun these days. Two birthdays (and two parties) in the space of a fortnight (that's what you get for carefully planning your family of three children, two and a half years apart...), not to mention supporting my husband in looking after his elderly auntie. Alzheimer's is a cruel disease. Now she can't shop for herself, doesn't remember when to eat, forgets that there's soup in the pan ready to heat up ... who said old age was graceful?

Hubby is a brick - going over nearly every day and sorting out a myriad of small but essential details. I cook. She came across for lunch on Sunday. I sent soup back across with her. Made a quiche yesterday - there's a note on her kitchen table reminding her to eat it, as she won't think to look in the fridge. Social Services are on the verge of setting up more domestic help, and it can't come soon enough. I can cope with being a working mother of three, but cooking for an Aged Relative as well is a bit of a responsibility.

Now I must get back to patching school trousers. I haven't decided which of my three patented techniques is the best yet!

No comments: