Saturday, April 29, 2006

Mum. The word says so much, doesn't it? Wage-earner, housekeeper, chauffeur ... courier ...

Courier, I hear you gasp - is she into drug-running, too? No. Just taking defective toys back to the shopping centre. Yesterday lunchtime, I gave up my lunchbreak to take the thing back. The escalators weren't working in the shopping centre, so crowds of people were trudging up and down the immobile escalators. The shop offered me a replacement, but had none in stock. To do them credit, they arranged for a replacement to be kept aside for me in a different shopping centre.

Meanwhile - back down the escalators I trudged, back to work for another fun afternoon at the coal-face. That was one hour wasted. Got home at the end of the day, had tea, went to the second shopping centre with two small boys in tow, and effected the swap of defective for replacement toy. A second hour gone, but this time not wasted...

That meant there wasn't time to do supermarket shopping. And by the time SuperSpouse got no.1 son home from Boys' Brigade, it was 10.30 pm and I was on the point of collapse with tiredness.

I left the house at 7.30 am this morning for a conference in Edinburgh. Got back at 6.30 pm, had fried egg on toast for my tea (smile, at least it was hot food!) - THEN did the supermarket shop. Research? Reading? You've gotta be kidding. What with chasing boys to bed and sorting out laundry, there wasn't any time for research!

It is twenty years tonight since SuperSpouse and I first had a drink together.

You can blame the Salvation Army, strangely enough. We were playing in a musical, "Half a Sixpence". The band agreed to go for a drink after the last show. We crossed the road to the pub - and the others never joined us. They must have decided it was against their principles - they were all Salvation Army bandsmen, whilst we were Church of England organists ...

No comments: