Wednesday, August 15, 2007

560 words!

Now, who would be impressed by the fact that I sat and wrote a mere 560 words for my thesis this evening? It might not seem much, but it is significant because it marks the first tentative steps to overcoming a severe case of writer's block!

The more I read, the less I know. The more I read, the less I remember. The more I read, the denser becomes the mass of information and theories that I have to sift through and reduce to some kind of sense.

So if I've written a paltry 560 words, then I'm happy. It's a start, and if I wrote 560 words every night, I'd make progress at a rate of knots. I doubt I'll manage it that fast.

Cello-Kid has gone back to music school this evening. He couldn't wait to get there. You know, I won't be able to use that epithet soon, because the kid is maturing into a youth, and his attitude to his playing is that of a young professional, not a kid who happens to play the cello. On Sunday evening, he played his cello, unaccompanied and amplified through great big loudspeakers in George Square, Glasgow. The Cancer Research charity was holding events nationwide, and the Glasgow branch wanted a soloist to play for a few minutes before they had their 5-minutes' silence, during the Candle of Hope ceremony. Dressed in a smart dark striped shirt, he looked every inch the composed young man (no-one would have guessed that he had thrown a wobbler at the suggestion, just 48 hours earlier ...), and played like a pro. I was so insanely proud of him!

Okay, so Cello-Kid is becoming Youthful Cellist. On Monday afternoon, his train-track braces came off and he now only has a retainer for the next few months. His teeth are perfectly straight and look fantastic, after just nine months. He and the orthodontist are both very proud of themselves!

Viola-Kid wants to follow in Big Brother's footsteps. It's possible. There is no certainty, though, because you don't know exactly what the audition panel are looking for. You can be good, but not get in. Or you can show promise, and get in ahead of someone with more skill but less promise. Who knows? All he can do is practise. All we can do is encourage, and provide lots of different opportunities to get musical experience. Pushy parent? Who, me? I don't think I'm particularly pushy, but I suppose it depends where you're coming from.


No comments: