Saturday, February 16, 2008


I have to get this off my chest!

I took a half-day's holiday yesterday afternoon, in order to get everything ready for my two biggest boys to go to Glencoe outdoor education centre for the weekend. Then, once I had dropped them off at the meeting point, I planned to go home and have four hours peacefully doing my research. Meanwhile, SuperSpouse and Saxophone-Kid would go to see The Wizard of Oz.

Everything went according to plan.

EXCEPT! a nasty little tyke repeatedly kicked my middle son's shin, when they were playing football after schoo - and Middleman ended up having great difficulty walking.

So - was he in a fit state to go to Glencoe? No. We took his big brother to the meeting-point, then I took Middleman to Accident and Emergency at our local hospital. Three hours later, we had established that he only had soft-tissue injuries (as I thought) - but there was little point in driving to catch up with the rest of the group in the Highlands, if he wasn't fit.

Our childminder phoned the parents of the NLT. But when they tackled him, he developed convenient amnesia. A dishonest NLT, indeed.

Middleman was upset at missing something he'd looked forward to. We were upset for him, upset that we'd committed £85, and furious at the NLT.

AND I had lost my peaceful, studious evening.

24 hours later, the suffering sportsman has conceded that his leg is less painful now, which is a good sign. However, he found himself playing Gooseberry to our Valentine's meal this evening, because we had made arrangements for his little brother to go to a friend's house, but we hadn't bargained on Middleman being around at all!

Even the Valentine's meal didn't go according to plan. I phoned the restaurant to book a third place, and it was all sorted out. Until we got there, to be told that children weren't allowed in the restaurant after 8 pm. Humph. Luckily, I came up with a Plan B, and we went to our favourite Indian restaurant - which just happened to be five minutes' drive from Saxophone-Kid's friend's house.
And now, at 10 pm, I suppose I ought, belatedly, to do some research. If I can find the energy and motivation to get started ...





Images from flickkgrr, ~bunny~, and outnbout, all on flickr.com, with thanks.




No comments: