Saturday, August 09, 2008

The illusive Lauchlan Maclaine

I've just been ransacking Gloucester Archives for documents about Lauchlan Maclaine - a Mull man who lived in the early 1800's. I know there was a diary circa 1815. It turned out to be missing. I know there was correspondence from around that time. No trace of that either. I know there's a notebook of songs that he took down. Seen it, but it wasn't what I hoped it would be. Aaaargh! You win some, you lose some.

At least I had a mini-break, nice B&B, no hitches with my travel arrangements. Indeed the Archives, B&B and station were all within a mile of each other, so I congratulated myself on some very excellent arrangements!


Eating in Gloucester

... it isn't easy finding somewhere to eat in the middle of Gloucester of an evening. I did find a very nice pub serving a superb minted lamb suet pudding (with vegetables and no less than TWELVE whole new potatoes on my plate!) on Thursday night. On Friday night I visited Cafe Rene, which I can thoroughly recommend. I was healthily vegetarian, and had a mushroom spaghetti dish. Both nights I made the most of being in the West Country (near enough) and had cider. I know what's good for me! Not good for the diet, I hasten to add, but definitely good for the soul...

Finally ...


Here I am back home again - mountains of washing and potentially, ironing, all around me, and it's pouring with rain. Back to what the Scots would call "auld claes and parritch". Also, I fear, back to the diet. Sigh!

No comments: