Friday, September 12, 2008

Leeds last weekend, Glasgow all week, and down to Halifax tomorrow - what a hectic social whirl!

I was in Leeds for a conference called "Music and the Idea of the North" - organised by the University in commemoration of Leeds Town Hall's 150th anniversary. I spoke about Alexander Campbell's Highland song-collecting. (What else? Sometimes I feel like his reincarnation!)On Saturday night, we all went to a fabulous concert in the Town Hall. And on Sunday morning, nice and early, I cadged a shot at the equally fabulous 3-manual organ there. (Widor's Toccata in trainers with no music? I managed the first two pages from memory, and that was all. Managed the whole of the Bach D minor Toccata, which was better.)

* (If you hadn't guessed, I just LOVE town hall architecture. Victorian civic pride at its best!)

It seemed a shame to head back home for a mere six nights before heading down to a place only 20 miles from Leeds. However, work had to be done, and Glasgow is home.

*

This weekend, I'm taking Viola-Kid and Saxophone-Kid down to my college room-mate's 25th wedding anniversary celebrations. Cello-Kid is doing a Duke of Edinburgh Bronze award trek. SuperSpouse is staying at home to collect the trekkers at the end of the trek.

*

Viola-Kid isn't at all excited about a 4-hour train journey, even though he's never been on a train further than Edinburgh in his life, and I'd have thought tomorrow would have some novelty value. Ah well! Watch this space to find out how it all went.

*

If one thing is certain - no research has been done for a few days. I hang my head in shame, but if there's no time, then there's no time. Can't put extra hours in the day.

No comments: