Sunday, November 30, 2008

In the trade, they call it "putting in a dep". Eh?, I hear you say.

Well, this evening, I had hoped to have the church choir perform Purcell's Evening Hymn. It's a truly beautiful piece of music.

I copied it out. Rehearsed it with them. Just a fortnight before we were to perform it, I discovered that actually, there weren't going to be any ladies available to sing this evening, and the few men weren't keen to become virtual soloists.

No problem - introducing, Plan B. Phone a friend, and persuade his sons to play oboe and cello, and I would still play keyboard.

Until last night. The oboist has broken his ankle. I still have a cellist. Indeed, counting my own son, I have two cellists, but no-one able to play the tune.

We're on Plan C. I shall play oboe, the cellist will still play cello, and my cello-playing eldest son will play keyboard for a change.

The whole aim of the exercise was to showcase other people, not my own family, but it can't be helped. I've promised the minister a beautiful piece of music, and there will be just that.

So - I'd better go and practice!

I've already completely forgotten about my University presentation on Friday night, Roving among the Hebrides, otherwise known as The Alexander Campbell Show. It went very well. Until I got back to the car, late at night, to find both windscreens iced up, three side windows ditto, and one smashed. By the time I'd been to get it repaired it was 2.30 am, so I was asleep by 3 am. Any wonder I've forgotten about Alexander Campbell .....?

No comments: