Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The book that was never published

Only a librarian would get interested in this! A book proposal was published in 1781. The book was never published. End of story?

Not for me! I want to know at what point the would-be author abandoned his project. I need to go back to Edinburgh to peruse various old documents and records. I'm only just back at work full-time after being at home with Convalescent Super-Spouse, and I was in Edinburgh on Friday - I can hardly disappear off there again!

But I love quiet days spent researching in libraries. It makes me happy. And I meet interesting scholars. Who could want for more?

This evening I went to the library in Glasgow just to check an annotated bibliography about writings on Scottish music. My 1781 man wasn't there. That's exactly the outcome I was looking for!

No comments: