Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Just back from Nottingham, where I attended the IAML (UK & Irl) ASW.

'The what?', I hear you ask.

'The International Association of Music Libraries' UK and Ireland Branch, Annual Study Weekend.' There, now you know! So we talked, and networked, and heard papers, had our AGM, and went to a great piano recital on Saturday evening (Roy Howat, Chopin and French composers influenced by Chopin), and the Annual Dinner on Sunday evening.

Back to work today (sigh!), a little tired but otherwise unscathed, and clutching a whole load of trade catalogues etc, from which I passed on details of the books and music I felt we ought to order.

Stuck with 3.5 hours wait at Nottingham Airport, I invested in some career development books -
  • Emma De Vita, The Management Masterclass

  • Jurgen Wolff, Focus: the Power of Targeted Thinking

All went well until I got stuck into Jurgen and his Focus. 'Have you not had a pay-rise in two years?' (0.5 % is probably not what he had in mind ...) I stand condemned. Clearly I am not applying myself to my career development with enough dedication and - well, Focus.


I'll let you know what happens when I've finished the book and worked out what I have to do.


3 comments:

Jurgen Wolff said...

Hi, I'm glad you got the book and I hope it helps you get the compensation you deserve! All the best, Jurgen Wolff

Pseudo-Supermum said...

I'm astonished! I never for one moment imagined that the author would respond to my blog posting - and so fast, too. Many thanks, Jurgen!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so jealous at missing Roy's concert! And if you find the book useful, I might have to purchase my own copy. It's a long time since I've had a proper pay rise, too!