Thursday, May 23, 2013

Stroppy Organist

A parishioner said my pile of organ music was "all stoury".  That's Scots for "dusty and tatty".  It isn't - it's just a pile of music that I had been playing recently.  So it was on the organ stool beside me.  Behind a screen so absolutely nobody could see it.  I should have it in a box, she said.  But I can SEE what's in a pile. It wouldn't be as easy if it was in a box.  (Anyway, the stuff I'm not playing is in librarianly apple-pie, alphabetical order, in a box.  So what's the problem?)

I am not pleased.  What's more important?  A decorative organist sitting silently on an empty organ stool, or a working organist doing her job to the best of her ability?


WORDS FOR AN ORGAN BENCH


That music is there to be played
By an organist who is dismayed
That folk would deride her
For piling beside her
The scores that are tools of her trade.

MORE WORDS FOR AN ORGAN BENCH


I choose what to play from this pile
And yes, it will stay here a while
I dispute that it’s stoury –
I will NOT file like fury –
My music, my playing, my style.

No comments: